Sunday, October 10, 2010

Observing Literacy in the Classroom

Although our field experience has only been underway for two short weeks, I feel that I have already benefitted and accumulated more knowledge than I ever expected.  Watching my cooperating teacher (whom I will call Mrs. Doe) teach has allowed to realize more than ever that literacy and the priniciples that surround the subject of language arts are truly embedded into every single aspect of our lives.  And, Mrs. Doe only seems to drive this point home as she never fails to pass up an opportunity to relate the subject she is talking about back to the basics of reading and writing.  For instance, rather than always testing her students on the material that they have learned in science through the standard multiple-choice test, she is a strong proponent for allowing them to write about what they learn.  This writing analysis may take on a creative form or may be more objective.  She has also pointed out that lacking fluent reading skills creates difficulties with mathematics since math problems are not merely computational but instead require comprehension skills.
Fortunately, Mrs. Doe is also a big advocate for letting teachers-in-training, i.e. people like me, become actively involved in the classroom by engaging with the students.  Each week that I have been in her classroom, she has allowed me the privilege of leading a small reading group that merely consists of faciliating questions at the proper time as the students read aloud.  Seeing the proficiency of these readers is quite amazing!  However, it is undeniable that some of the students are not quite on the same reading level as their peers.  When these particular students read, I have noticed that those who are more fluent readers often have difficulties following along because they come bored or simply find it hard to follow along.  For the future, I wonder if anyone has any effective strategies for helping these more fluent readers keep interest while their peers, who may not be at the same level, read.

2 comments:

  1. Good questions! I know I always hated reading as a group because it was boring waiting for the less-fluent students to read. In first grade I read my whole reading book on my own in advance of my group (Yes, it was Dick and Jane and Spot.). My teacher made me do busy work for several weeks during reading time while my group caught up with me. It didn't stop me from reading ahead, though!

    Are tiered groups the answer? Part of me says it's not fair to track kids if they're going to be assigned that way forever. Plus, they don't have the benefit of watching advanced peers and how they do it. But if they're being grouped by skill with specific instruction to conquer some specific skills so they can surge ahead I could understand the argument.

    I don't have any answers, but those are good questions, Courtney!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let's TALK!! You'll learn that reading is as complex as writing (when you take your reading class next semester) but for those of you teaching reading right now, we can discuss some general principles that should help~

    ReplyDelete